Thursday 11 July 2013

Bob Filner Apologizes Amid Sexual Harassment Allegations: 'I Have Failed'

San Diego Mayor Bob Filner
apologized Thursday as allegations
that he sexually harassed women
continued to stir controversy.
"I begin today by apologizing to
you. I have diminished the office to
which you elected me. I have
reached into my heart and soul and
realize I must and will change my
behavior," he said in a statement,
according to NBC San Diego.

"As someone who has spent a
lifetime fighting for equality for all
people, I am embarrassed to admit
that I have failed to fully respect
the women who work for me and
with me, and that at times I have
intimidated them," Filner said in
the statement. "I am also humbled
to admit that I need help. I have
begun to work with professionals to
make changes in my behavior and
approach. In addition, my staff and
I will participate in sexual
harassment training provided by
the city. Please know that I fully
understand that only I am the one
who can make these changes."
Filner had refused to respond to
allegations earlier, even when
several high-profile San Diego
figures and former allies of the
mayor called for him to step down
over the controversy.

The AP reported earlier:
A letter to Filner from
former Councilwoman
Donna Frye obtained by
station KPBS said she
recently received "credible
evidence" that the mayor
harassed more than one
woman. She asked that the
City Council schedule a
special election to replace
him.
Frye didn't immediately
respond to a phone
message from The
Associated Press, but
was scheduled to
appear at a news
conference Thursday.
Frye's urging came two
days after Filner's
fiance, Bronwyn
Ingram, announced in
an email to her team of
volunteers that she was
breaking their
engagement.

"I am extremely
disappointed and
heartbroken, both for
what Team First Lady
could have
accomplished, and for
me, personally;
however, this is the only
action I can take given
the devolvement of our
personal relationship,"
Ingram wrote.

No comments:

Post a Comment